Ghent University (UGent) was founded by Prince Willem I of Oranje-Nassau in 1817. Today, after more than twenty years of uninterrupted growth, UGent numbers more than 32,000 students. The university employs about 6,000 staff members: 880 professors, an equal number of assistants and a high number of scientific, administrative or technical staff members. Each year, Ghent University awards more than 5,000 master’s degrees and about 600 doctoral degrees.
Ghent University, together with the university colleges Hogeschool Gent, Artevelde Hogeschool and Hogeschool West-Vlaanderen, form the awlp Ghent University Association. With 50,000 students and 8,500 employees, the awlp Ghent University Association is working towards the realization of a Flemish study and research centre of European importance. Ghent University is also a member of the integrated network of European Universities (the Santander Group) and is involved in many projects of the European Community in the field of education and research. Annually UGent welcomes about 2,500 international students. The doctoral studies are organized in five Doctoral Schools.
Ghent University has well-developed information and extension services for students and excellent social and student facilities. In terms of research and scientific services, a significant number of research centres and laboratories active in all scientific fields are connected to UGent. Several of them enjoy world-wide fame. The quality of education, scientific research and services is the main asset of Ghent University. For further information, please visit our Website: www.ugent.be
The Faculty of Bioscience Engineering is one of the eleven faculties of Ghent University. The Faculty of Bioscience engineering was founded in 1920 as the Ghent Agricultural College, functioning under the Ministry of Agriculture. Fifty years later, the Ghent Agricultural College affiliated with Ghent University as the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences. In 1992 the name of the Faculty changed to Faculty of Agricultural and Applied Biological Sciences and with the Bologna educational reform introducing the Bachelor-Master structure in 2004, the current name of Faculty of Bioscience Engineering was adopted.
The research at the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering is oriented towards the study and management of bio systems and their interactions with the environment. In an academic engineering environment the focus is on the development and optimization of applications useful to both man and society and on the prevention of undesirable side effects.
The research and education are structured in 14 departments that include the entire chain of research and development, management, production, processing and valorization of raw materials for both food and non-food applications. The research pays extensive attention to current issues such as climate problems, environmental problems, food issues, sustainability, bio-energy and bio-safety.