ILVO is looking for a candidate with a master's degree for
Function EV: Scientific researcher agriculture and climate with focus on life cycle analysis
Vacancy number: EV/2019/038/T&V115
Entity: Eigen Vermogen (EV) - Flanders Research Institute for agriculture, fisheries and food
Afdeling: T&V 115
Plaats van tewerkstelling: Burg. Van Gansberghelaan 115 bus 1 - 9820 Merelbeke
The agricultural sector is facing the major challenge of making production systems more sustainable and climate-friendly. Life Cycle Analysis is a method that allows to study the impact of the Flemish agricultural processes on the environment and climate correctly and holistically. As a scientific employee for life cycle analysis (LCA), you will cooperate in various ongoing projects and reflection exercises. You will be responsible for building up expertise and giving support to projects, for example KLIMREK (an approved VLAIO Agricultural project that studies climate adaptation and ways to reduce the climate impact of farms through company-specific support), and Grastech (European Project on grazing of dairy cattle and the use of sensors to measure methane in order to optimise grazing). You will be able to delve into the different techniques and systems and their impact on the environment due to the use of both raw materials and the emissions produced. You work together with different kinds of experts inside and outside ILVO and strengthen the ILVO-ELK. You work within the Technology and Food Science research unit where a multidisciplinary team of experts focuses on innovative and environmentally friendly agricultural systems.
Your work consists mainly of the following tasks:
- Deepen your knowledge of the LCA-methodology and align the method with the agricultural and horticultural sector. Further, explore the alignment with the food industry in support of ILVO’s Food Pilot as well as with the fisheries sector
- Applying the LCA-methodology within existing projects and reflection exercises, and to support policy-making
- Building knowledge of, and enumerate, data sources around emission factors, specifically for agriculture and horticulture in Flanders
- Following national and international literature on the LCA-methodology and related or additional methods to assess sustainability. You are expected to keep track of this literature and to communicate these concisely to the ILVO-LCA Working Group and the ILVO-ELK
- Communicating research results to the research world (writing scientific articles, participation in congresses,...) and to policy-makers and the greater public (in the long term)
- Contributing to the general operation of the ILVO-ELK.
Target date for recruitment: 15 October 2019
- You have a Master's degree in bio-engineering, civil engineering, biology, environmental sciences, earth and environmental sciences, or an equivalent. If you are in possession of a foreign diploma, you need to have an equivalence recognition. You can request this at NARIC Flanders
- You have a minimum of 2 years of research experience
- Knowledge of and a strong interest in the agricultural sector is required
- You have experience with data processing, data integration and data control
How to apply?
Send your motivation letter together with your CV (indicating the vacancy number) to Veerle Van linden – email@example.com, at the latest by Sunday 15 Sept 2019.
Suitable candidates (based on CV screening) are invited for an interview on 1 or 3 Oct. 2019. Please provide a telephone number where you can reach the day and indicate your e-mail address on your cv.
Job content: Veerle Van linden, senior researcher and expert on LCA - 09 272 28 11 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sam De Campeneere, Scientific Director, Supervisor of ILVO-ELK – 09 272 26 12 – email@example.com
Terms of Employment: Caroline Buyst, HR Specialist - 09 272 25 12- firstname.lastname@example.org.
More info and requirements