Since 2005, ILVO has been assigned the task of National Reference Laboratory (NRL) for the determination of the water content in poultry, as listed in appendix 11 of the European Regulation 543/2008.
The tasks of the NRL are as follows:
- Coordinate the activities of the NRLs that are responsible for the analyses of the water content in poultry
- Assist the Member State (FPS for Economy, SMEs, Self-Employed and Energy) in setting up the system for monitoring the water content in poultry meat
- Participate in comparative studies (proficiency testing) between the various NRLs
- Ensure that the information spread by the board of experts is transmitted to the FPS for Economy, SMEs, Self-Employed and Energy) in the Member State in question and the NRLs
- Cooperate with the board of experts. When the NRL has joined the board of experts after designation, prepare the required samples for the trials, including homogeneity testing, and arrange appropriate shipping