Research related to the NRL for Allergens includes the development and implementation of methods and procedures for the detection of food allergens of vegetable or animal origin in the food and feed chains. In particular, alternative approaches for the production of antibodies useful for the detection of food allergens are investigated.
- Analysis of routine samples with methods that are already accredited or in the process of accreditation. Determination of the presence of food allergens in the food chain.
- Management of the laboratory in accordance with the standards of the BELAC accreditation, development of procedures and validation files as well as other ad hoc documents
- Evaluation of new analytical methods, e. g. by participating in inter-laboratory tests. We develop, improve and validate methods (and reference materials) for analyses belonging to the scope of the NRL
- Participation in international inter-laboratory tests for demonstrating the technical competence of the NRL
- Organisation of proficiency tests at national level; i.e. for the laboratories of the FASFC, the laboratories approved by the FASFC and laboratories which qualify for recognition
- Technical and scientific advice to the FASFC
- Technical and scientific advice to the by the FASFC-approved laboratories and answers to technical and scientific questions raised by the "stakeholders" of the NRL via the FASFC
- Develop and organise scientific and technical training for the FASFC laboratories and by the FASFC-approved laboratories.
- Organise the Steering Committee and communication group meetings for and with the FASFC, by the FASFC-approved laboratories and laboratories which qualify for recognition
- Play an active role in crises and incidents by technical and scientific advice to the FASF.