Caring for the environment is an essential value in ILVO’s day-to-day operations. ILVO carries out targeted research to provide the population with quality food produced in a sustainable way (e.g., reducing use of raw materials, climate-neutral, conservation of biodiversity, etc.). We strive to carry out this research in a sustainable way and with attention to the environment.
We recognize our exemplary function in this regard - we work intensively with various universities, high schools and companies and we regularly organize tours and events for farmers, agricultural organizations, food companies and organizations, and public authorities.
To guarantee this, we have BELAC-accredited laboratories at the Plant Sciences Unit (340-TEST) and Technology and Food Science (033-TEST and 033-PT). We maintain an ISO 14001:2015-health and safety system and we commit to:
- Evaluate the environmental impact of these activities and systematically improve environmental performance;
- Prioritize significant improvement actions for our activities;
- Comply with environmental legislation and respect other environmental requirements;
- Use budgetary opportunities to carry out these improvement actions as well as to protect the environment;
- Prevent or minimize air and water pollution;
- Careful use of water, energy and raw materials and reduce our waste;
- Respond quickly and adequately in the case of abnormalities;
- Keep open communication with all those involved in these activities, initially with their own staff and further all stakeholders such as customers, governments, suppliers and other interested parties.